Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Newbie's Model 19 journey begins

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Newbie's Model 19 journey begins

    I think the problem with replacing inductors is that you can get the same H value but the R is grossly different. Why do I think this - I have a box of expensive foil inductors sitting in a box and the originals back in the X-over.

  2. #12
    HB Super Moderator
    Newbie's Model 19 journey begins


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Newbie's Model 19 journey begins

    If you need new L-pads I think these are better than the ones from PE it has a longer shaft 3/4" where the ones from Parts Ex. are 3/8" too short IMO, makes it tough to get the knob on and to stay on.It's from Madisound and they carry the 3.9 ohm resistors that PE doesn't have as well.


    https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...roducts_id=551


    Quote Originally Posted by zelgall View Post
    Why do I think this - I have a box of expensive foil inductors sitting in a box and the originals back in the X-over.
    :2thumbsup:

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Newbie's Model 19 journey begins

    Quote Originally Posted by zelgall View Post
    I think the problem with replacing inductors is that you can get the same H value but the R is grossly different.
    Yep. The Altec inductors are solid core. Likely to have a different DCR than the air core inductors that are popular as replacements.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member ZilchLab's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2007
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Newbie's Model 19 journey begins

    New GPA 902-8A measurements on 511A and MR931 using Z19 crossover posted on AK:

    [ame="http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4133787#post4133787"]Z19 Crossover - Page 3 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums[/ame]


    1000d1289557707 newbies model 19 journey begins gpa 902 8a 511a mr931


    I'll borrow some 811Bs to measure, maybe next week....
    [CENTER][COLOR="SlateGray"]... Cult of the Stinky Wrapper ...[/COLOR][/CENTER]

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Newbie's Model 19 journey begins

    I'd love to see the 811B measurements--thanks for sharing!

  6. #16
    Inactive Member ZilchLab's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2007
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Newbie's Model 19 journey begins

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    I'd love to see the 811B measurements--thanks for sharing!
    511B repeated to verify measurement conditions; mic then lowered 1.5" to be on 811B axis, and same-length window advanced ~200us for its shorter horn length. All other settings are identical for both horns and drivers:

    1023d1290053278 newbies model 19 journey begins gpa 902 8a 511a 811b

    1024d1290053295 newbies model 19 journey begins gpa 902 8a 811b
    [CENTER][COLOR="SlateGray"]... Cult of the Stinky Wrapper ...[/COLOR][/CENTER]

  7. #17
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Newbie's Model 19 journey begins

    Thanks man! Now if you could lightly mist some 'Plas on just the surround, I think you could cure that 13k pimple...

    BTW, I can't express how much I'm enjoying your new signature. :2thumbsup: :laffingassoff: Guess I'll have to fire the secretary, she never told me we'd aquired a West Coast division.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member ZilchLab's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2007
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Newbie's Model 19 journey begins

    Having no A'plas to play with, and desiring to keep this brand new 902-8A pair entirely stock, I'll likely just notch the spike out. That done, both 511 and 811 play essentially the same, +/- 1.5 dB out to 15 kHz, with a dash of 2.5 dB "forward" in the 2 - 5 kHz upper midrange, 511 kicking it in a bit lower than 811. A low-Q broadband LCR tank filter similar to what I have used on the JBL exponentials might sweeten up that part, though it'd be more fun figuring out how to do that in Z19 itself.

    A slam-dunk done deal for upgrading Valencia et al., as viewed from the West Coast, original home of all that was Altec....


    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    BTW, I can't express how much I'm enjoying your new signature. :2thumbsup: :laffingassoff: Guess I'll have to fire the secretary, she never told me we'd aquired a West Coast division.
    It took a while to save up the enrollment fee....
    [CENTER][COLOR="SlateGray"]... Cult of the Stinky Wrapper ...[/COLOR][/CENTER]

  9. #19
    Inactive Member mekr's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2010
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Newbie's Model 19 journey begins

    i am also new to Altec club and building speaker based on Altec 19,with 416 alinico 16ohms in Onken cabinet and GPA802 HF alinico drivers and 811 horns,i wish to build a crossover for the same ,can i have the diagrams and parts required to build the crossover

  10. #20
    Inactive Member ZilchLab's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2007
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Newbie's Model 19 journey begins

    M19 or Z19?

    Here's a parts list for an $80 Z19 build using Dayton caps:

    attachmentphp?attachmentid1037&ampstc1&ampd1290554171

    Double the value for L1 and halve that for C1 for use with 16-Ohm woofers.

    Install 8-Ohm diaphragms in the compression drivers.

    [Tell 'em Zilch sent ya.... ]

    attachmentphp?attachmentid1077&ampstc1&ampd1292815953
    [CENTER][COLOR="SlateGray"]... Cult of the Stinky Wrapper ...[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.